<$BlogRSDURL$>

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://clarioncontentmedia.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Perception is reality? 



Perception is reality. Functionally in modern American society it is so.

Ironically the Clarion has been participating in the debate about the veracity and the outcomes of this solipsism for many years.

The thought has become ingrained in American consciousness and inherent in American culture (advertising is omnipresent.) The distinction between perception and reality has blurred so much that the debate has faded from view (spin is accepted.)

We recently crossed paths with this theory once again, in Barack Obama's book, The Audacity of Hope. The following is direct quote.

"I--like every other politician at the federal level--am almost entirely dependent on the media to reach my constituents. It is the filter through which my votes are interpreted, my statements analyzed, my beliefs examined. For the broad public at least, I am who the media says I am. I am what they say I say. I become who they say I've become."

Now compare this quote to that of another, different, astute, American cultural critic.

"I am whatever you say I am. If I wasn't than why would I say I am? In the papers, the news, everyday I am, I don't know its just the way I am."

This Eminem (Marshall Mathers) lyric is from his hit tune, "The Way I Am."

The Clarion collects and cojoins these quotes not to raise the false flag of plagiarism, ala the Clinton campaign. Rather, we wanted to emphasize that widely divergent, intelligent commentators note the difficult of communicating their authentic selves and authentic message on a scale as large as American society.

Caution and skepticism about what you read, see and hear from any portion of the media should be your modus operandi.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?